Monday, April 13, 2009

She Lost Her Ring, What a Ding-a-Ling

What happened last Tuesday night when YaYa mixed excitement with last-minute packing and a desire to make her engagement ring sparkle before heading off to meet her future-in-laws?

She lost her ring.
What a ding-a-ling!
And now, she's pulling out her hair.

That's right folks. It was midnight and I was finally attending to the last item on my "Get Ready for Florida Trip" check list. I had taken off all of my jewelry (two rings, a pair of earrings, and a necklace) earlier in the evening and placed them on a pretty, rose hand-painted saucer in the bathroom.

Now, I carried the saucer into the living room, sat on the couch, and poured the jewelry into a canister in a polishing solution, put on the lid, and shook it a bit. Following the instructions, I let it sit for about five minutes.

When I opened the jar and took the canister out, everything was present and accounted for--except the engagement ring! I kid you not. My engagement ring had vanished. What is this? Some kind of magic trick?

Okay. Funny. Ha Ha. May I have my ring back, please? Pretty please? Pleeeeze? Okay, this is not funny, anymore. I want my ring!

This story does not have a happy ending. Yet.

After concluding that I dropped the ring on the short trip from the bathroom to the living room, I searched high and low for two hours. I went to bed. No ring. I only slept two-and-a-half hours. Woke up and searched some more. No ring.

I left for the airport demoralized.

I actually had a wonderful time in Fort Myers with Buddy and his family, embarrassed though I was.
While there, Buddy and I developed a plan for how I could methodically cover every inch of the carpet, on my hands and knees, to find the "temporarily misplaced ring."

Finally, we joked, how great it would be if I had a metal detector. It could make this task less daunting.

Hey, not a bad idea.
So, if I have any fellow Santa Cruzan readers out there: Does any one have a metal detector they would be willing to loan me?

I'm desperate!

2 comments:

Buddy said...

"Good Morning My Sweetheart", I said, to the absolute love of my life last Wednesday morning, when YaYa called. I was already packed for our trip to Florida and was having coffee, beyond excited and thrilled, when the phone rang, and as always is the case,an ear to ear smile on my face at the sight of the name and number.
" And Honey, how are you this morning...can you believe we'll see each other today !" " Oh, I'm fine I guess, but I have something to tell you that you aren't going to like".
I paused at the sound of her voice and those words. My very first thoughts were that of YaYa being ill. "What's the matter, are you ok?"
Then my YaYa proceded to tell me what had happened the night before. I listened and visualized it, as I have an indelible blueprint of the home,the particular locations that were being mentioned to me as to where the engagement ring might be. We went over everything step by step, and the more we did, I heard, I knew, I felt her unsettled tone. Between getting ready for a most joyous trip which we had planned for awhile ago, being together again, meeting her future in-laws, showing them the beautiful ring,a long plane ride after which she would be tired,I knew it was time to take pause, deep breaths, and talk about it when we were in one place.
As YaYa and I do when we are preparing to " come home "(I quotate as to the special symbolic meaning to us), we go over last minute things before the flights, and then she asked me " Buddy,I need to know how you are really feeling about this."
It was obvious that we both felt terrible, and I was reminded of the time when we had just had a lovely romantic dinner. As we drove out of the parking garage to travel home, I felt for my cell phone. I looked everywhere that I could, or so I thought in my steadily growing concern. We even turned around and went back to the same garage and looked in the parking spaces, under cars, but could not find it. The next day while I was out shopping, something guided me to look in the one place I had not looked. The glove compartment. Lo and behold there it was.
It did not take me but a few seconds to answer YaYa's question, as over the course of the last 8 months, I have a new course, a new pace, a new LIFE, a beautiful bride to be. The answer was easy.
The ring will be found, it is in the house. Most importantly always is that we will be together soon.
What brought us to this stage in our lives, the gift of spending the rest of it with each other, will surely lead the way to the ring.
It is there honey, you will find it, and you know better than anyone as to my relationship with faith.
I Love You My Heart xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Hi My Heart: Thanks for writing about your reaction and response to my telling you about the ring. And thanks for the reminder about the lost, or rather "temporarily misplaced," cell phone.

I know my precious engagement ring is somewhere in this house because I never went outside that day. I was singularly focused on preparing for our rendez-vous.

Yes, my sweet, I do know the role that faith plays in both of our lives. The love we shared is predicated upon it. xoxoxo, YaYa