Thursday, August 2, 2012

Alls Well That Ends Well

Two weeks ago today, I was in the John Wayne Airport (Orange County, CA) preparing to fly home from a wonderful visit with my younger sister, Tonia. 
My flight was delayed by four hours. (I still get to airports two hours early, so actually I sat in the terminal for six hours!) Yea, you got it: I sat in Orange County for six hours waiting for a flight that would land me in San Francisco in one hour and 15 minutes (approximately.) Five days hence, I would be in an airport again, flying home to Buddy in New Jersey. The irony did not allude me: I could have flown home to my Sweetheart in the amount of time I waited just to return to San Francisco Airport.
Of course, I spoke to Buddy several times throughout the wait, and he reminded me to breathe and relax, telling me that when I finally arrived home, all would be well.
 When I landed in San Francisco, other mishaps followed. I struggled to get my luggage off the carousel, only to find the handle on my roller bag stuck. The driver of the long-term parking shuttle dropped me off in the wrong part of the lot and I had to drag my luggage to the car. Thankfully, I did have enough gas to drive the hour-and-a-half to Santa Cruz, but when I arrived home, I was exhausted, aching, and cranky.
 I paused a moment before I got out of the car to thank God/dess for a safe trip home, and then I began to haul my stuff up the outside stairs to my second story apartment. 
Half way up, I heard a voice from the balcony say: "Hello, Sweetheart," and there stood my hubby, Buddy. He had flown in  several days earlier, while I was in Los Angeles, to surprise me and to help me prepare my affairs before flying to New Jersey for the month of August.
 
 
 
 I thought I was seeing a mirage!   That's My Buddy.

4 comments:

Sherry Ruffin said...

Ain't Love GRAND!!! That was a sweet story. Glad you enjoyed time with Tonia and then, after the grueling trip home, to have a surprise from your Buddy. I'm sure it made all the difference!

Peace,
SDR

Sherry Ruffin said...

Ain't Love GRAND! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with Tonia and after that grueling trip home, to be surprised by your Buddy at the top of the stairs, that made it all worth while!
What a sweet story.

Peace,
SDRuffin

Julie Olthof said...

Such a sweet surprise!

Unknown said...

Yes Friends: Love is grand!