Monday, March 2, 2009

One Never Knows Does One?

Dear Readers: Welcome to the first Monday blog. For now and into the foreseeable future, I will publish My Seat on the Beach on Monday afternoons rather than on Friday evenings. The new schedule will give me an opportunity to take my blog to the next level: I plan to write responses in the comment section to further discussion there... and here.

When I started this blog, it was with the intention of establishing the discipline of writing at least one piece per week. At the time, I did not foresee that I would develop a readership of people who enjoy responding to each others' blog comments as well as responding to my blog entries. I confess, I love reading the blog conversations and banter as much as writing the entries.

So, I want to get in on the action. With the new publishing schedule, I will have time to correspond with my readers during the week through the comment section. I can imagine new blog topics will grow out of this exchange, new friendships will develop, and old friendships will be renewed.

The irony of all of this is: Until three years ago, I was a technophobe and techno-Scrooge. I teach communication courses at a college in San Jose, CA--public speaking, interpersonal communication, small group communication, and argumentation. Make no mistake, I have a bias in favor of face-to-face communication--no keyboards, no icons, no buttons, no earphones--no muss, no fuss.

I hate that people expected me to answer email. I have a cell phone I barely use (and don't ask me my cell number; I don't know it.) Digital cameras discombobulate me, I-Pods perplex me, and Blackberries make me itch. Most of the time, I don't even answer my home phone.

So, I have to laugh at myself when I realize that menacing machinery has provided me with the greatest amount of satisfaction and happiness I have had in my life: 1) My Seat on the Beach--brought to you by modern technology, and 2) My reunion with Buddy--made possible by. none other than the technological advances I have scorned.

One never knows, does one?

6 comments:

CJGallegos said...

We look forward to hearing from you!

Unknown said...

Cooper: Thank you for encouraging me to "kick it up a notch" by responding to comments. Your Writing Sister, YaYa

Mimi said...

YaYa, you're absolutely right one never knows.
Perhaps that's what makes life so interesting. The fact that it is so unpredictable.

On yesterday, March 2, I celebrated my 60th Birthday. It was also one year since our great-uncle passed away. Now that's ironic. I think you will understand what I mean. At any rate I feel tremendously Blessed.

God is good, life is good, and I won't complain.

Thank you for sharing YaYa, I look forward to you blogs.

Peace & Love

Unknown said...

Mimi: Belated Happy Birthday, Cuz.
Yes, it is ironic JSP died on your birthday. Don't get me started...or....'nuf said. I think you will know what I mean.

I'm glad you are still reading the blog and writing comments. Everybody looks forward to what Mimi has to say!
Love Ya, YaYa

Joyce Mason said...

Blogging has sure changed my life, too, YaYa. There's nothing I enjoy more than watching blogs evolve, mine and others. A year and a half ago, I had to look up what "blog" meant. Now I'm on the brink of debuting a second one. Go figure! Congrats on the next phase of the journey!

Unknown said...

Joyce: Thanks for your words of encouragement. I will come check out your current blog and leave a message. TTFN, YaYa