Friday, December 12, 2008

The Message in the Bottle


Two years ago, on my 53rd birthday, I took off my wedding band. It was a man’s wedding band: gold with a gold and copper strand (appearing pink) intertwined with a gold and bronze strand (appearing green) down the middle of the ring. Chaz had the same band, three sizes larger.

 I wanted the man’s band. It had more heft than the typical woman’s delicate ring. I was making a weighty commitment and the size of that band seemed symbolic of the stoutness of my devotion.

For the next thirteen years, I only took the ring off when I wanted to scratch an itch underneath it. Then the day arrived when it was no longer appropriate to wear. He was gone and he wasn’t coming back!

So what to do with the ring?

I’d like to say that originally I sought an honorable method of disposing of it. But no, I took the mad woman route at first. I tried to burn it in a cauldron with thirteen years worth of anniversary , birthday, and no-special-occasion cards! (Did I really think I could destroy gold with the heat of a match? Or was I trying to transmute it based on the intensity of my ire?)

Next I tried to pawn it…or at least find a jeweler who would be willing to transform it into another piece of jewelry. No such luck. The braided segments of gold mixed with other metals made the ring unlikely for any other use.

Clearly the time was not right to dispose of the symbol of my marriage because no viable option was coming to mind. So, I decided to sit with the ring, and the betrayal, pain, and loss it represented, until I could find a way to break through to a place where I could let it go with love.

I purchased a gold bird’s nest in which to place the ring, covered it up with gold confetti hearts for another year, and let it rest amidst a stack of books and articles espousing the virtues of a spiritual divorce.

When I turned 54, I revisited the ring question. A year had past, yet I had not received any guidance from my Higher Power about what to do with the ring. I purchased a heart-shaped alabaster  box, with a dove on the lid, and placed the band there for safe keeping. In the meantime, I set about collecting photos from my marriage, cutting them into teeny-weeny pieces, and burning them in the fireplace!

My divorce was finalized on February 14 of this year—Valentine’s Day. (How bizarre is that?) In the ensuing months, I have continued to do the very personal work of letting go: experiencing the grief, accepting the reality, feeling the loss, and trusting that my Higher Power is in control and everything is working out as it should.

The hardest part? Forgiving Chaz…and myself… for …everything. (Honestly, I think I will be recycling through that stage a number of times before I am completely through the process.)

Yet, when my 55th birthday rolled around this year, the perfect answer to the ring dilemma presented it self. I realized I needed to give the pain, the regret, the sadness to My Mother, the Ocean. Yes! Water, the symbol of purification. Stop trying to burn everything, YaYa. Give it to the ocean.

So last Saturday morning, I awakened early, and took the ring, a jar, and a pink index card to the lighthouse. I thanked the Goddess for all that I had learned in my marriage. I asked her to take from me the sting of divorce. And I rejoiced in the new life and new love that is opening up before me like a flower in bloom.

I wrote an invocation on the card, scrolled it into the jar along with the ring, tightened the lid, and flung it into the ocean.

Now, a week later, I wish I could add an addendum to the message in the bottle. It would read: “It is not physical transformation nor transmutation that is necessary for healing. What we need to heal is an experience of spiritual transcendence.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear YaYa,
Isn't it amazing how one knows
" when ". Isn't it wonderful that that the spirit can be lifted from the pain. As I read, I pictured you, and I know, despite the varied emotions and feelings you were setting free....you proceeded with all the respect, care, pomp and circumstance which you give to your new life and love...all of which and so much more, I am honored and grateful to be the recipient of such devotion. I continue to learn from your thought process, and my glass is always half full, not half empty because of you. The devotion I speak of is so very rare. Although your former spouse will probably not know of your setting free, even NOW, after his divorce...isn't it ironic that he is still a fortunate man, that you still had the dignity, after all is said and done, to honor the period of time the marriage spanned.
Love is never a one sided coin. It is high time that you are now devoted to. Rest easy, for you are...breath easy, because you are safe.
ILY xoxo

CJGallegos said...

YaYa, beautiful post. The writer in me of course is already in motion: The jar bobs along in the ocean, it washes up on a distant shore. A very poor idealist young woman who is in love with a beautiful young equally poor man, is collecting kelp for the evening meal. She finds the jar and that night presents this now wondrous ring to the love of her life. They decide it was meant to be and they lived happily ever after, until of course thngs grew sour and the not-so-young man flings the ring into the sea and the cycle begins again.

Erik said...

Like you describing attempting to melt the ring with the heat of your ire. Very nice image there. Also enjoyed you talking about leaving the ring in the midst of other symbolic items while you pondered its fate.

And I really, really liked you talking about forgiving yourself and your ex-man for the past. Crucial, so crucial for healing, methinks.

Feels like you're doing a LOT of cleaning these days - isn't THAT interesting? :)

Curious Curandera said...

Many Blessings

Mimi said...

YaYa, I really enjoyed this post. It made me think about my wedding ring from my first marriage.

I too took off my ring and went the mad woman route putting it in a ring box and hid it in a drawer so I wouldn't have to look at it.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember thinking that perhaps one day I would give it to my daughter. That was over 20 years ago and the ring is still in the box in the drawer.

My daughter is now 35 years old and unfortunately has her own ring in a box, which she gave to me to keep 4 years ago.

Your blog reminds me that I need to give her the option of having the ring that her father gave to me over 39 years ago. If she declines my offer, at least now I have some ideas on how to dispose of it.

Thank you my dear and I so look forward to seeing you soon.

Peace & Blessings

Mimi