Friday, December 5, 2008

Advent Star















My birthday is tomorrow. I was born on the second Sunday of Advent, the day on which the afternoon Christmas Pageant service was traditionally scheduled. My mother, Marion, and her best friend, Jane, were on their way to the 4:30 p.m. service when I made my intentions known. Apparently, I was in a hurry to get the holidays underway.

As the story goes, the two young women briefly debated whether to go to church and sing some of their favorite carols before going to the hospital. They wisely by-passed St. Peter’s Episcopal Church and continued on to the other side of town to All Souls Hospital. It wasn’t long before I commenced my joyful noise. My mother still tells with amazement that she was only in labor with me for a half-an- hour.

Just this morning she reminisced, “You were in a real hurry to get here, and when you arrived, you were so at peace…a sweet lovely baby. You only cried  a little bit, and then you seemed captivated by everything going on around you.”

Her friend Jane later became my Godmother, and it was she who, when I turned 30, recounted the day of my birth as if it were a fairytale. It was my turn to be amazed. How often had I been an angel in the Christmas pageant? How many times over my lifetime had I sung myself into tears with my rendition of “Away in the Manger” and “Silent Night.”

But not until the night Jane gifted me with her version of my birth did I understand I was born on what had become one of my most favorite days of the Christian Advent calendar.

Jane said she and my mother sang verses of “O Come All Ye Faithful” between contractions. ("O Come All Ye Faithful!") It tickles me to think that the carol I so love actually invited me out of the womb, and I responded with a big swooshing “Yes!”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YA YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are doing wonderfully well with the blog and your new life.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ya Ya.

What a delightful story. It was also moving since I too was born at All Souls Hospital. May you enjoy the day and have many many more returns. Oh by the way rumor has it thay you are in Love?

Mr.E

Anonymous said...

'Cat's out of the bag!'

(What a strange saying! What the hell was the cat doing in the bag in the first place!?)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YaYa!!
We loved your Advent story
& joyful noise!

Keep it up!
Maggie & Lou
Sushi??

Mimi said...

YaYa, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

I can just see Aunt Marion and Jane singing "O Come All Ye Faithful" in between contractions. Only your mom could pull that one off.

By the way, are the rumors about you being in love true? I hope so; I can't think of anyone more deserving of happiness.

Rejoice my dear, rejoice for your time has come.

Love ya.

Mimi

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Ya Ya!!!
I'm enjoying your Blogs.

Hope you travel with your light!

SDR

Anonymous said...

Wow ! What a wonderful exciting opportunity. For those of you who are familiar with the musical, The Sound Of Music, then I refer please, to Julie Andrews on the mountain top, arms raised, "puttin' it all out there". Well, I would hardly look good in her outfit, but I am surely, proudly, teary eyed, undeniably..." puttin' it out there" ( yeah, that's right, this man is in touch with his feminine side, ohhh yeahhh ). Mr.E, Mimi....in response...yes, we're both in love. The journey to one another is one that is so far beyond what we could ever imagine, and it began many years ago, and I've loved her every one of them.
I never stopped believing that there was a divine reason, a design,behind just going through " the motions ", the facade if you will. I know the reason, and all the questions have finally been answered.
She surely does deserve this Mimi, and I couldn't ask for more.
(LNWYB)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I am so sorry to have missed calling you! Thanks for keeping in touch with your stories!