Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Un-chocolate, Non-floral Valentine's Present

I just barely avoided a two-cart pile-up in my local grocery store yesterday afternoon. A man and a woman collided while making a mad dash for the same Valentine's Day bouquet. Last I saw them, they were at the check-out counter sharing a laugh over the perils of last minute gift shopping.

I sprinted off to the produce section to find bean sprouts for this evening's salad, all the while contemplating
what would be the perfect Valentine's Day present for all our loved ones, no matter size, age, or gender. By the time I'd reached my destination, I had thought of one of those "gifts that keeps on giving" ideas.

It's not a purchase; but, rather a practice.
It is not tangible; yet, it can be felt.
It is not a feeling; it is a skill.
 Without it, we cannot nurture ourselves or our relationships.

I'm talking about patience.


Psychiatrist M. Scott Peck, in his book, The Road Less Traveled, says, "Love is not a feeling; it is an act of will." So it is, too, with patience. We choose to practice patience; we don't wait to feel patient. If we did, many of us would never develop the skill. Patience is one of the tools/skills that enables us to build, nourish, and sustain healthy relationships. Without it, we can be consumed by disappointment, frustration, resentment, and an attitude of superiority. On the other hand generous doses of patience help our relationships bloom.

Before I finished shopping for the day, I visited a nursery and purchased a plant to symbolize my commitment to practice patience. A tender sprout, just like us. It is now on my windowsill with a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience."

So, if you are scurrying around today looking for a present,  purchase a sprout, and write a lovely note promising to show your love by slowing down and being more patient.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yaya, You continue to inspire me! I intend to add that skill set to my toolbox! Patience, a choice worth pursuing. Amen & Thank you yaya! Maggie

Unknown said...

Maggie: Thank you. Glad to serve. Love to you, Lou, and Mookie.
Peace, love, and Joy, YaYa