Monday, May 30, 2011

So Many Books, Too Little Summer

Happy Memorial Day. The Spring semester has just ended and I have finished the odious job of assigning final grades.

Now for one of my greatest pleasures...the creation of my summer reading list. Every Memorial Day, I gather all the index cards, bookmarks, Post-Its, and notebooks on which I have recorded book titles, and devise my reading list for the summer.

This year, I'm doing it in a rush because I'm also packing to return to Buddy for several weeks before summer school  begins. So here, in no particular order, is my Summer 2011 list:

1.  The Help                                                   Kathryn Stockett
2.  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks      Rebecaa Skloot
3.  Pope Joan: A Novel                                  Donna Woolfolk Cross
4.  Water for Elephants                                  Sara Gruen
5.  Reading Lolita in Tehran                          Azar Nafisi
6.  No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency              Alexander McCall Smith
7.  Of Thee I Sing: A Letter
           to My Daughters                                Barack Obama
8.  Mother Theresa: Come Be My Light      Mother Theresa
9.  My Freshman Year: What a Professor
           Learned by Becoming a Student       Rebekah Nathan
10. The Particular Sadness
           of Lemon Cake                                 Aimee Bender
11. The Twelve Steps of Forgiveness          Paul Ferrini
12. Change Your Brain,
            Change Your Life                           Daniel G. Amen
13. The Happiness Project                         Gretchen Rubin
14. Wherever You Go, There You Are      John Kabat-Zinn
15. God Is Not a  Christian                       Desmond TuTu


 I'd like to know what you are planning to read
this summer.

1) Click on the Comment section of this blog and
     send me your reading list.

2) Email me your reading list at:
    YaYa@myseatonthebeach.com

3) Send your reading list to me at YaYa
    Bowman's Facebook page.

I would love to publish your submissions
throughout the summer.


4 comments:

CJGallegos said...

Nice list! I'm hoping that next Memorial Day, part of your list includes my book, The Waterhauler! Have a great visit with Buddy. I'll miss you this Sunday. ;-)

Libbie said...

Karen- All the books you picked are great - can't believe I have read almost all of them- I am working on the classics now- Ann Karennia now, finished Jane Eyre and will go onto to Whethering hights!

Have fun - Libbie

Bemused Boomer said...

I've read about half of yours, am currently enjoying "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese. Amazing writing talent.

Anonymous said...

Add Perfect Peace - Daniel Black.