Monday, June 15, 2009

Dinner Time and the Living is Easy

These are my parents: Vernon and Marion, also known as Meadie Peadie and Marion Belle, M&M, and Pop-Pop and Grammie.

When I visited New Jersey last month, Buddy and I had a real treat. We prepared dinner for my father's 85th birthday.

 Wearing white aprons, we set the dining room table, Buddy prepared an antipasto, I poured the champagne, and they sat, relaxed, and let us serve them.

Here they are, satiated, after a meal of chicken and mushrooms in a butter/wine sauce, roasted asparagus and roasted garlic, and a strawberry, chocolate and freshly-whipped cream parfait.

The next time Buddy and I will have this pleasure will be in August when my parents celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary. That's right: 60 years!

I would love to hear from any readers who have known my parents during this time. What do you remember about the effervescent M&M?



3 comments:

Buddy said...

Ahhh yes Vernon and Marion, two wonderful people who, I am proud to say, are my other parents, and in less than 6 short months from now, I have the extreme gift, blessing and honor of being wed to their beautiful daughter, and becoming their son in law !
My beloved YaYa and I had such a wonderful time preparing dinner for them,on the occasion of the
" Sarge's " 85th birthday. Aren't they a cute couple ?
The " I wanna play " look you see in Vernon's eyes, is for real, trust me. I so enjoy listening to stories of his youth,living in the same town for over 75 years. I live only but 15 minutes away, so I know much of the areas he tells me about.
And the lovely Marion, his bride of almost 60 years. Look at that smile. They obviously have been doing something right. Give her family, friends,and a medium Dunkin Donuts coffee, and she is good to go.
As my beautiful betrothed and I busily, and I might add, in total sync, prepared their repast, I would every so often peer out to the dining room where they sat. It was so endearing to see.
The table was set beautifully by my YaYa, and her roasted asparagus,roasted garlic, and her now renowned strawberry, chocolate and freshly whipped cream parfait was extraordinary. Wolfgang Puck had nothing on us, with the white aprons we wore.
And so, we toasted, and dinner was served in courses. YaYa and I had both the pleasure of preparing dinner for M&M, and seeing them enjoy it. It was most pleasurable indeed.
Thank you Mom and Dad for the opportunity to have such a wonderful evening with you. We hope you enjoyed it as much.

salle said...

How fun to see your parents' photos, after years of hearing their stories! They have such kind and caring looks...
of course, I knew they would!

Mimi said...

YaYa, there isn't enough room on your blog site to write about M&M and the many wonderful things I recall about them over the years.

Aunt Marion & Uncle Vernon have been my second parents and the inspiration for alot of things in my life. There are no words to express what they mean to me.

They are a great couple and wonderful individuals, whom I love dearly. Aunt Marion has always been my "Special Lady" and always will be.

I feel truly blessed to have the two of them in my life. The time I have spent with them over the years has always been so meaningful.

I'm looking forward to their 60th.

Peace & Blessings

Mimi