Monday, May 25, 2009

Frankly, I Don't Give A *$%!!

I recently found myself in the awkward position of trying to explain to someone near and dear to me why it was I was unwilling to commit to an engagement three weeks ahead of time. She would not accept my "no" but rather adamantly advanced her agenda--that of getting me to attend a meeting "that would change my life for the better."

Clearly she was not listening to me, hell-bent on racking up points for netting a new member for her organization du jour. But in all fairness, I accept some of the responsibility for our frustrating conversation. Perhaps I was not speaking clearly. Maybe I was being too diplomatic. But in all honesty, I was afraid to out myself as a fibromyalgia sufferer.

I was too embarrassed to admit that I function on finite energy and when all the energy I have on any given day is spent, I have no reserve from which to borrow. I was too much of a coward to acknowledge that the daily pain with which I live requires my best energy to manage. I was too proud to acknowledge that the overachieving, success-driven, self-actualizing woman she once knew had retired her superwoman tights and cape long ago. Now my favorite outfits consist of silk pajamas, fuzzy slippers, and a heating pad.

I didn't tell her that I'd rather spend time listening to birds sing or the ocean roar than listening to a motivational speaker pump up an audience; that I'd much rather spend a quiet evening laughing and talking with her than sharing the details of my life with a bunch of people I do not know. I did not tell her, "Frankly, I'm not looking for new friends, new projects, or new inspiration," though I wish I had.

Indeed, I wish I had told her,"If you really want to help improve my life, come on over and finish bringing in the groceries from my car. Better yet, offer to go grocery shopping for me!
Take the overdue books back to the library. Maybe you could bend down and pick up the shells that FuBu knocked off my desk. Would you be willing to brush Mookie's coat? How about vacuuming the carpet for me? You want to help improve my life? Gift me with a weekly maasage for a month. I'm pretty sure that would provide a tangible improvement to the quality of my life."

At 3:00 in the morning, I regretted that I had not said any of those things. But in the light of the day, I realized: Why expend the energy? She wasn't listening anyway.

2 comments:

Bemused Boomer said...

The thoughts you chose not to speak are exquisitely expressed in writing. Lucky for your readers you chose this route!I hope someone with proximity to you reads your post and comes over to employ their energetic limbs on your behalf.

My friend calls it the "F" thing. She moved to Arizona and gets more frequent good days than she did in the Pacific Northwest. I'm about to launch myself into the desert, as well. (Am I ready for the desert? Is the desert ready for me? Stay tuned.)

Kudos to you for accepting your reality and being gentle with yourself. Being misunderstood and sometimes chastised is part of having an auto-immune thing going on. Bless your non-understanding loved ones, but share with the ones who think you're cool in your fuzzy slippers!

Unknown said...

Bemused Boomer: So nice to hear from you. I appreciate your understanding and empathy.

I come from very stoic stock--my father is a mortician/funeral director and my mother is a nurse. My family members are trained to respond to other people's crisis and to minimize their own.

Though dealing with fibromyalgia is a challenge, I am thankful that it has taught me to be gentle with myself. That lesson has been a blessing.

Bemused Boomer, I am going to visit your blog and follow your trek into the desert. Good Luck, YaYa