Friday, November 7, 2008

Hail to the Chief

Have you ever taken one of those endless personality tests that asks:

Q: If you were a cat with nine lives, what would you do with the other eight?
Q: If you won three million dollars in a lottery, what would you do with the last million?
Q: If you had a theme song that played every time you entered and exited a room, what would it be?  (Lately, I’ve been mentally gliding through space on Jill Scott’s “Living My Life Like It's Golden.”)

Well, as of January 20, 2009, when he is sworn in as the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama will have Thee Theme Song, the presidential anthem: “Hail to the Chief.” This song will accompany him at almost every public appearance for the next four years. That’s mind-blowing!

The melody itself is majestic, but the words are rarely sung.
Oh, would I like to hear them sung on that historic day!


    Hail to the Chief we have chosen for the nation,
    Hail to the Chief! We salute him, one and all.
    Hail to the Chief, as we pledge cooperation
    In proud fulfillment of a great, noble call.

    Yours is the aim to make this grand country grander,
    This you will do, that's our strong, firm belief.
    Hail to the one we selected as commander,
    Hail to the President! Hail to the Chief!

(The lyrics were written by Albert Gamse and set to James Sanderson's music.)

5 comments:

CJGallegos said...

YaYa, thank you for this post. I don't believe I've ever seen the words to "Hail to the Chief". Every time I hear the music, however, I imagine a pompous lunatic with a sophmoric grin on his face striding across the stage. It'll be nice to associate the music with something good.

Anonymous said...

Hello Yaya,
Wonderful blog, I never thought much about that song. It will take on new emotions this coming year. The man deserves our respect & support! He is smart & has real integrity that I can see. I can't wait for his presidency!!! It feels so good to be American again! Thank God.
Maggie

Mimi said...

BRAVO!

YaYa, I too would love to hear the words sung to "Hail to the Chief" on January 20, 2009. The words definately have taken on new meaning.

However, we must continue to pray for our new President Elect, the hard work has yet to begin.

Peace & Blessings.

Mimi

Anonymous said...

Well YA YA, this song will finally have more meaning than it has ever had for many many Americans. Thanks for such a unique tribute for this historic ocasion.

Mr.E

Anonymous said...

My Dear YaYa, very nice blog. Short and to the very important point. I've always liked hearing that song. Very " John P. Sousa-esk". As a Veteran, it reminds me of the different functions I attended as a serviceman. I wish our President Elect Gods speed.