Friday, July 4, 2008

Hail to Pippi

On this Independence Day, I salute Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraimsdaughter Longstocking, my childhood hero. Pippi Longstocking, the adventurous, assertive, free-spirited creation of Swedish author Astrid Lindgren in the mid-1940s, was the source of many of my 1950’s girlhood dreams. Pippi was living my fantasy life while I sat home coloring between the lines.

The first movie adaptation of the Pippi Longstocking story was filmed in 1949. I saw my first Pippi movie in the mid-1950s, before I entered grammar school. Pippi wore long red braids that poked straight out, parallel to the ground; I had long black braids that snaked down my neck to my bony shoulders. She had red freckles all over her face; I was chocolate brown from head to toe. Pippi lived by herself, unfettered by parental constraints. Her closest companions were her monkey, Mr. Nelson, and her horse, Alfonso. I lived with a mother and father who maintain close supervision over their children. I had a black cat named Lightning.

Pippi could say anything, do anything, and defend herself against anybody. I had to spend my energy avoiding getting dirty; being careful never to say an unkind word about or to anybody; and making sure my face didn’t get stuck in that ugly, contorted expression my father teased me about when I cried.

Pippi cleaned the floor of her house by skating around on scrub brushes; she baked huge batches of cookies all by herself; and she could make messes without getting yelled at. She was strong enough to pick up her horse and carry him around, and she could beat up pirates. She was a little, crafty, carrot-top truant who could outsmart grown-ups and amaze little kids.

Adults could not suppress her; the educational system could not tame her; and terrorists could not scare her. Hail to Pippi, my earliest feminist beacon.

11 comments:

Laura Davis said...

Hey Yaya,

I loved Pipi, too. I never thought of her as my earliest feminist heroine, but you're right, she was! I love thinking of her that way.

Can't wait to read all your musings on the beach.

Fondly,
Laura

Anonymous said...

You did it! Hooray! Love your recollection of Pippi. Great photo of you and I like your header. You go 'girl'.
Irene

Anonymous said...

WWPD - What Would Pipi Do?

Sarah

Dblake said...

Dear Yaya,
Lovely opening post. I'll be back

Dblake

Erik said...

I didn't know ANY of this about Ms. Pippi L.! Cool to hear your history of this writing and how you thought of her. Nice to have a role model that can help you bust out of the rules, yes?

CJGallegos said...

Hey, YaYa! Good job! I look forward to your Friday musings! Coop (Happy Independence Day!)

Anonymous said...

Hey Yaya,

I didn't know Pippi growing up, but thanks for introducing me. She is definitely my kind of gal!
Excellent choice for a role model!
Wish I had known her growing up.

My childhood felt very confined too, being a shy 'girl' who moved towns every 2-3 years. It seemed like only boys got to do whatever they wanted. At least my brothers seemed to. They got to build tree forts & explore down by the creek and really cool stuff. 'Girls' got to play with dolls :( booooring.
Supressed & tamed!

And now, as an adult woman, I've become Pippi! Thank God! I'm free!

Your blog is inspirational.
I look forward to more of your charm & spirit!

You Go Girl!
(And I'm glad you did!)

Maggie

Anonymous said...

Hail to sister YaYa from Motown! More More More!
I will look forward to seeing more through your window. The curtains are moving back and blinds show us what to see!

Jevonheart

Anonymous said...

Hi Yaya,
I haven't thought of Pippi Longstockings in ages! I do suppose she'd have a grand old time on the beach...
warm wishes and smiles to you,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

YA YA SISTERHOOD!

I remember hearing the name Pipi Longstocking when I was a kid, but I never knew her character was so profound in childrens books.

Maybe there should be a little bit of Pipi in all of us.

Great job! I look forward to reading more of your writings.

Ambica

Leopoldo said...

OMG, all the years that I have known you I and did not know that our childhood idle was the same. I too loved Pipi and got a lot of ragging from my male friends in Bklyn, NY cause they said it was a sissy book.
You know, I ain't no sissy, but I sure did love me some PiPi.
What is amazing is your pshyco-analysis of her character. It is brilliant! I am going to suggest it to a friend of mine who works with young girls. Some of them have self esteem issues and I think that using the series of books with your take on them could be useful. UUUUGoooGurl.